Fall has been here for a while now, but we still haven’t seen the real fall weather. Surely that is not a guarantee that any day now we’ll experience the full-blown fall weather release, and later face the severity of the winter weather.
The fall is also an excellent time to do some hiking and experience the beautiful side of the fall with all the changing and the surreal mix of colors. The nasty side is a cold fall rain shower that will leave you with wet feet. A sure way to protect yourself is to get some proper waterproof shoes.
Below we have chosen three products that are excellent choices when looking for the proper waterproof hiking shoes. We will outline all their main features, pros and cons and will help you to select your next pair.
Why should you wear waterproof shoes?
A most common issue when having the constant weather shifts and unexpected rain and snowfall is having to go about our business with wet feet. And we all know that this is the main cause for getting that nasty cold that will linger for days.
When going hiking through the woods or grasslands, you are also faced with the dew and precipitation that may seem harmless at first, but in fact, it is silently being absorbed in your shoes and seeps to the inside and gets your feet wet and cold.
The sure mean to prevent cold and wet feet is to get a pair of nice waterproof shoes. There are no such thing as completely waterproof shoes only highly weather resistant shoes that can withstand prolonged use in rough weather without letting water or moisture inside.
For the purpose of this article, we will use the term waterproof as the products described here are indeed waterproof in the general sense.
Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus Low Waterproof Hiking Shoe
The Columbia Sportswear Company has been producing some fine sporting equipment for over 70 years. This tradition and can be seen in the Newton Ridge Plus Low Waterproof Hiking Shoe. These come with surprisingly lightweight and offer some fine features.
- PU coated waterproof materials – leather, mesh, suede and metal hardware
- Rubber soles
- Omni-grip non-marking traction rubber outsole
- Techlite midsole
- Waterproof seam-sealed membrane bootie construction
Here are the main pros that we found on this product:
- Lightweight construction for comfortable all-day wear
- Omni-grip traction rubber sole for nice grip on all terrain
- Removable insole
- Waterproof performance for protection of your feet in all weather conditions
Here are the cons we found:
- V-shaped eyelets don’t allow for tightening the laces
Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe
The Merrell company has been producing high-performance hiking boots for the past 35 years. They have brought some very nice and reliable products and the Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoes are no exception. They are very nicely designed and comfortable footwear with some amazing features.
- Waterproof suede leather and mesh upper
- Protective rubber toe cap
- Vibram TC5+ high-performance rubber sole
- ECO+ blended EVA contoured footbed
- Molded nylon arch shank
The Merrell Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe has some nice pros:
- Selection of colors like Beluga, Bark Brown, Granite, Dusty Olive and Espresso
- Waterproof performance for a protected foot
- Molded durable and stable rubber sole resistant to slipping
- MOAB – Mother Of All Boots
There are some cons related to this hiking shoe, like:
- They are designed to securely hold the heel which may cause some issues for people with wide feet
Ahnu Women’s Sugarpine Waterproof Hiking Shoe
The Ahnu company is devoted to producing performance shoes with an emphasis on aesthetics, engineering, and comfort. The Sugarpine Waterproof Hiking Shoe is a fine example of Ahnu’s devotion to high-performance hiking shoes. They have some nice, desirable features outlined here.
- Waterproof leather and textile upper
- Synthetic sole
- Fiberglass reinforced nylon arch shank with EVA shock plates
- Vibram non-marking slip-resistant outsole
- Numentum Hike technology with heel clip for stable position of the heel
The women’s Sugarpine Waterproof Hiking Shoe by Ahnu has some nice pros:
- Eye-catching style in several color schemes: Bluestar, New Black, Alder Bark, Black Aubergine and Eclipse
- Removable insole
- Vibram rubber outsole offers traction on various terrains
- Integrated cushioned underfoot support
As with any other product, this one also has some cons like:
- The high back (2 inches) may hit the Achilles area and cause issues with some wearers
All three hiking shoes described above are decent choices when it comes to selecting the next pair of waterproof hiking shoes.
The Columbia Men’s Newton Ridge Plus Low Waterproof Hiking shoe is a proper lightweight hiking shoe. The men’s model described here is very suitable for long hiking trips, and the soles are extremely resilient to long distance walking. With their nice price, these offer good comfort and durability.
The Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoes are also a nice choice for a hiking shoe. They are a bit more expensive than the Columbia Newton Ridge shoes described above. Offering a selection of colors, waterproof performance and a non-slip outsole, these are a proper choice for the hiking lover.
The Ahnu Women’s Sugarpine Waterproof Hiking Shoe is another nice choice. These are a women’s model and come in several colors. The Sugarpine hiking shoes have the non-slip rubber outsole that provides grip and traction on different surfaces and the Numentum Hike technology heel clip that keeps the neutral position of the foot.
All three waterproof hiking shoes outlined above are a good choice for any hiking enthusiast or long-distance walker. All three models have no-slip outsoles, improved design for stable positioning of the foot and waterproof performance.
All three come in different color choices and the ultimate choice for your next pair of hiking shoes depends solely on your style, needs, and budget.